The village of Onset started out in the 19th century as a summer retreat for spiritualists — people who believe that the living can communicate with the dead through mediums. The On-I-Set Wigwam Spiritualist Camp’s red, tepee-shaped building harks back to that Victorian age — it was built in 1893 — and continues to serve as a gathering place for spiritualists. A plaque above the front door reads, “Erected to the Memory of the Redmen. 1893. Liberty throughout the world and reedom to all Races” From June through September, the Wigwam offers services, drum-making classes, and workshops like “Healing with your Angels in your Energy Field.”
The Spiritualist Declaration of Principles:
1) We believe in Infinite Intelligence.
2) We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.
3) We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion.
4) We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.
5) We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.
6) We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
7) We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws.
8 ) We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any soul here or hereafter.
9) We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.